YCCECE is founded in 2018 by the Yew Chung Education Foundation (YCEF), an established non-profit Association in Hong Kong with almost 90 years of pioneering history in Early Childhood and international education, bringing together the best of the East and West.
Since the 1970s, “Yew Chung” has been synonymous with high quality Early Childhood Education (ECE), thanks to the visionary leadership of Dr. Betty Chan Po-king, a globally renowned ECE educator. Today, the Yew Chung Approach to ECE is being recognised for its unique philosophy, curriculum and pedagogy, and we continue to explore new paradigms.
YCEF and its sister institutions are part of an extensive and growing network of kindergartens, schools, and college, providing quality education to over 10,000 students, spanning from infancy to tertiary, across more than 20 locations in Hong Kong, Mainland China and Silicon Valley in the US. YCCECE also builds upon the strong foundations laid by its predecessor, the Yew Chung Community College (YCCC), which was the first private institution in Hong Kong to offer formal teacher training, with the launch of its highly successful Higher Diploma in ECE (HDECE) programme in 2014.
In 2018, our College continued to blaze new trails by transforming into YCCECE – the first and only specialist ECE degree-awarding institution in Hong Kong, China, and perhaps Asia – and we proudly launched our flagship programme, the Bachelor of Education (Honours) in Early Childhood Education (BEdECE).
We are deeply committed to nurturing a new generation of passionate and inspired ECE professionals, who will have an enduring impact on the lives of numerous young children and their families, and truly change the world.
We are most grateful for the steadfast support of world-class ECE experts, as well as YCEF's extensive community of educators and overseas partners.
The College strives to become a preferred degree-awarding institution in Hong Kong, recognised for high quality programmes and learning experiences that will enable students to achieve their life goals and to support the sustainable and strategic development of Hong Kong.
YCCECE is part of an unrivalled network of international kindergartens, schools and college that spans more than 22 locations in Hong Kong, Mainland China, and Silicon Valley in the United States. Each school is independently registered and operated.
YCIS Hong Kong
YWIEK Chongqing Forte
YWIEK Chongqing Rongke
Somerset Yew Wah Classroom
YWIES Shanghai Gubei
YWIES Shanghai Lingang
YWIEK Shanghai Biyun
YCIS Silicon Valley
Madam Tsang Chor-hang founded the first Yew Chung School & Kindergarten.
Yew Chung Kindergarten and Primary School opened.
Dr. Betty Chan Po-king, Madam Tsang’s daughter, revolutionised Early Childhood Education in HK by introducing play-based learning and child-centered approach.
Yew Chung Children’s House and Kindergarten expanded to multiple campuses in Hong Kong.
Dr. Chan helped Hong Kong families see the importance of Early Childhood Education - this continued to be a core Yew Chung value.
The first Yew Chung International School was established in Hong Kong, then expanded to Secondary.
New Yew Chung and Yew Wah sister schools and kindergartens opened in Mainland China upon government invitations.
Yew Chung Education Foundation established the Yew Chung Community College.
YCCC became the first private institution in Hong Kong to offer formal teacher training by launching its 2-year Higher Diploma in Early Childhood Education programme.
Yew Chung Community College is upgraded to Yew Chung College of Early Childhood Education.
YCCECE launched its 4-year Bachelor of Education (Honours) in Early Childhood Education degree.
YCCECE opened its new campus in Tin Wan, Aberdeen.
In line with the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, and Sustainable Development Goals, we seek to actively promote Quality Early Childhood (from birth to age 8) for every child, irrespective of his/her race, colour, gender, language, religion, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, ability, birth or other status.
We believe that Quality Early Childhood encompasses the following core elements:
1. A right to life.
2. Access to health, optimal growth and holistic development, including physical, cognitive, socioemotional, mental, and spiritual.
3. Access to healthy, safe and secure environments (whether within the home, at school, or in the wider community), and adequate protection and care for his/her well-being.
4. Access to positive reciprocal adult-child attachments and/or relationships, especially with parents, key caregivers, and teachers.
5. Be respected and admired as a unique and capable individual and learner.
6. Access to free expression of him/herself, whether verbally or non-verbally, and feel heard.
7. Access to daily free play, including regular play in the outside natural world.
8. Access to developmentally appropriate, child-centred Early Childhood Education, characterized by high quality play pedagogy and/or inquiry-based learning (including beyond Kindergarten).
9. Access to prompt assessment, diagnosis, and additional support for his/her diverse needs, if any, so that he/she can develop to his/her full potential.
10. Access to quality teachers, caregivers, and multidisciplinary professionals, who are not just certified/licensed, but highly educated, emotionally mature, appropriately valued and remunerated.
11. Access to good preparation for their next stage of Upper Primary schooling and Middle Childhood.
12. Access to values-based teaching, nurturing, and character education as young citizens and future leaders of our world.